The Magpie Society: ONE FOR SORROW



We ventured to Kai Thai this past weekend to isolate in our private luxury suite with our own heated jacuzzi and it was possibly the best decision we could have made during these unprecedented times. After being at home for what felt like a month (watching way too many series and writing), I personally needed the change of scenery and a break from Bridgeton and all the other series on Netflix that had me hooked. 

One of the reasons I enjoyed our little escape to Kai Thai all the more is because I got to catch up on some reading. Penguin Books South Africa ended my year off on a splendid note by sending over the book co-written by Zoe Sugg and Amy McCulloch. For those of you who know me well, you will know that I absolutely adore Zoe Sugg and her blog Zoella. I have been following her blog and reading all of her novels since I learnt all about her from Instagram and so, of course, knowing the author and being familiar with her writing style already made The Magpie Society a well-awaited read for me. 

The cover reads, "At the heart of this school lies a deadly secret," and I would categorize the novel as a teenage fiction. I personally have never outgrown my love for teenage fiction being a fan of "Pretty Little Liars", "Tiny Pretty Things" and any read or show that deals with teenagers involved in some sort of secret drama. Mystery is my preferred genre for stories and something no one knows about me is I love playing Cluedo (who done it?) in my head when I read or watch a mystery story. Needless to say, I draw up conclusions in my head way before I reach the story's climax.  I am not lying when I say, I literally started reading this book while enjoying the rapid flow of the water in the jacuzzi as I was so enthusiastic about reading it and unlocking the mystery hidden beneath the words on each of the pages.





There is a sense of mystery that fills each page and makes you ask questions about each character that you stumble across as you read. For the most part, the characters are believable. Audrey and Ivy -the main characters have separate chapters dedicated to their tales and thoughts and this was a great writers' technique. The readers are introduced to each character, catching a glimpse into their innermost thoughts which is always a great feature of books as it allows you to understand and in turn relate to characters.

So podcasts and a strange headline sets the drama in motion in this particular novel but that's all I'll give away as I love leaving the cat in the bag!

The book also brings up very central issues such as suicide and mental health issues which through fiction ought to be addressed. 

Also, I read a post by the bookish nerd on how she set up for blog related book photography and I have to admit she is right! There is something so comforting about having a crisp and clean white sheet as a photo backing. Remember you can be a blogger but it's vital that you always support other bloggers. 



The next unforgettable Magpie Society mystery, "TWO FOR JOY" will release in 2021 and I surely cannot wait for that book.

Side Note: I must add that Kai Thai Rothbury Lodge makes for a great escape with reasonable rates. You may even bump into a celebrity or two during your stay, however, their breakfast is rather disappointing. A full American breakfast is promised when you book but there is a limited choice and the eggs look sad not at all sunny side up.





Comments

Popular Posts