Teen and Olives





From the moment I stumbled across the Teens and Olives Instagram page, I knew that this was something special. I didn't realize how gourmet eating and adding a simple staple like olives or figs to the table could make such a difference. Being a Muslimah, I was well aware of the Sunnah foods (foods eaten and encouraged by our beloved Prophet) but little did I know that sometimes just indulging in these foods could make you feel instantly better. 

Did you know that olives are so beneficial to your skin, hair, and can assist in slowing down the process of aging? A simple olive a day can keep the beautician, and hairdresser away. It is also known for its curing property. Figs on the other hand descended from the heavens and acts as a cure for sicknesses as well.  Aside from the countless health benefits of these fruits, they also make you feel better too. I was glad when I got to pop an olive into my mouth during the storm that this week brought all thanks to Tasmiyyah, the owner of Teen and Olives. One bite into gourmet goodness and I was blown away. Sometimes you need to take a step back and just know that life is so much more about sharing a hearty meal with your family and less about worrying about work, blown laptops, and exam papers that hadn't been photocopied (Yip, my work was chaos!!!).  Olive and Teens products arrived on the review desk early this week and as phenomenal as the products were packaged, the story behind the business was all the more inspirational. 

Tasmiyyah is the owner and here is what she has to say about a business that will tug at your heartstrings. 

What motivated you to start your venture /business?

I started traveling with my parents from a fairly young age, My parents and I lived in Egypt during my toddler years. that exposed me to the Mediterranean palate. Being exposed to different cultures from a young age has led to my interest in the Mediterranean and the Middle East. My husband grew up in Qatar, and helped cement these flavors and aesthetics in our home. Teen and Olives, happened quite organically. My sister in law introduced me to Eat Sunnah, a Portuguese brand. It inspired me to bring a taste of the Mediterranean to South Africa and create my own little lifestyle through the curated world of Teen and Olives

It now includes Figs bathed in Olive Oil, Gourmet Honey to elevate life’s delicious moments of happy meals with family, and the many more treasures from artisans and local small businesses that I admire.

What have you learnt on your journey?

On a personal level, I've realized that my dad's vision and my mom's motivation for achieving have definitely rubbed off on me. That including my husband's support and advice was invaluable in starting up and finding my feet. It's beautiful to see how this pandemic has brought out the hidden reserves of human resourcefulness. I've learned that when resources are scarce, it becomes easier to discard conventional ways of thinking and invent new uses for what we already have. But first, we have to adjust our mindset to see the possibilities - and not just the problems.

People in the midst of quarantine, self-isolation, and social distancing have found such creative ways to reach out and provide encouragement, love, and support. I can personally say that people have been incredibly supportive of my small and new business.

What inspires you?
I curate my own little aesthetic for Teen and Olives by endeavoring to seek out beauty, unique artisans, and wholesomeness. 

I constantly picture the setting of a wooden lunch table with friends and family, and about all the little elements that could make a lovely lunch/mezze experience even more beautiful and special. 

From what people are eating and feel good in, to what they are eating/drinking from, and what they use to wash their hands. 

 I believe that creating a beautiful setting and experience for the ones closest to you is an act of love and keep this in mind when sourcing and curating new pieces for my store.

Teen and Olives is a way of life, which echoes the Prophetic tradition and a life lived in the Mediterranean. 


Reviewing Teen and Olives products

Gourmet honey fig + pecan: Pecan nuts are a snack that is loved by most. So imagine pecan nuts dipped in the sticky, deliciously gooey amber honey preserve. The snack is enhanced by the sourness of the dried figs that have been added to make the pecans an ideal combination. The rich honey fragrance overwhelms your sense of smell from the time that you open the jar. The pecans still maintain their nutty, crunchy texture despite the fact that they are soaked in honey. If you love an evening snack, I certainly recommend this one. It can be a pre-workout snack. It is also ideal as a yogurt topping and served with a cheese platter as a cracker topping.

Figs in Azeite: The word Azeite is Portuguese for Olive oil. The olive oil acts as the preservative in which the dried figs rests. Fig is one fruit that requires a very refined palate but most love it. Some people instantly adore the taste, for others it takes some getting used to. For first-timers, fig does tickle the throat in the best way possible.  It is advisable to consume a fig before meals. If eaten early morning on an empty tummy, you will have the energy for the entire day. I personally enjoyed my figs in olive oil after my meal. The sour-taste of the figs cuts through the acidity of the food that we eat. This is an excellent accompaniment for every meal. The olive oil is a yummy addition to the fig and you get the taste when you dip into it. Eating fig helps fight cancer, improves memory, aids in weight loss, and much more. 

Tantalize your tastebuds with Tasmiyyah’s Olive and Teens products.


Follow on Instagram:TEEN & OLIVE

Contact: Tasmiyyah on 076 491 6766

Comments

Popular Posts