Dance Sense

Tonight I took a little break from the workload that had been pilling up. I put the teacher jacket down and refused to reply to Whatsapp messages related to anything work. Tuesdays are the most hectic day for me as I have back to back tuition and coding. So this Tuesday night, Ilham and I danced across the floor (we have a new carpet and its ideal for Winter bare feet).  Ilham giggled, squealed, cooed, and enjoyed it and that got me thinking about what she will be interested in when she grows up. Will she like ballet? I would love for her to be a beautiful ballerina... If she does choose ballet, I would love for Lindi to teach her.

Meet Lindi Gilhar, owner of Dance Sense, who has danced her way into the lives of so many little ballerinas.
 

What motivated you to start your venture/business?                                  
What motivated me to start Dance Sense ( previously called Ballet sense) was that I wanted to give children the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of Ballet, in a fun, exciting, and comfortable setting. When I was 5 years old I was very excited to start ballet. However, my teacher was very strict and shouted at everyone and even had a stick tapping on the floor. Parents were not allowed to watch and as I walked out I burst into tears and told my mom that I didn't want to ever go back. My mom couldn’t understand as she wasn’t there to see the strict teacher, but when I told her my reasoning she understood. A year later all I wanted to do was dance. My mom found me a teacher. I literally started doing ballet at the tender age of 6 and continued tapping my feet until after matric. ðŸ˜Š There really is a difference. Don’t get me wrong,  Ballet is known to be on the strict side of things and a very disciplined dance form, which I fully understand and experienced myself but the difference was in which it was taught to me. Toddlers should never have to experience what I did especially at their age it should be about fun, excitement, encouragement, imagination, dressing up, props, and learning the fundamentals at the same time including fun themes and having no barres at this age. It's all about making it about YOU! Feeling confident and this will benefit once get to the right age to start studio.  My classes are home-based catering for small groups but it is now online, in this new world we find ourselves. We have interactive zoom sessions, classes as well as arts and crafts.



What have you learnt on your journey? (If anything)?
I have learnt that anything is possible if you have a vision and go for it. I doubted myself and my concept many times, and I still have my days but when I see those smiles, pointed feet, all dressed up and having fun, that’s what makes it all worth it! I am also an ECD teacher and my number one goal is to build confidence and that its ok to make mistakes we learn and get up and try, try and try again! No one is going to put you down. When I look back to a few years ago, I never imagined I would have Dance sense. Its busy growing day by day and I'm so grateful.😊



What inspires you?

Seeing a child happy inspires me. A happy child filled with laughter and smiles enjoying the little things in life makes it all worthwhile. If I can make one child feel something new then I've done my job especially self- confidence because as I like to say, there is no such thing as ‘I can't”, but rather try, try, and try again because you CAN!



Bunnies, Ballerinas, Beauties filled with confidence, cuteness, and a teacher who cares= the perfect combination. 


Picture credit: Lindi's ballet collection


Details:


/Users/lindigilhar/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Outlook/Data/Library/Caches/Signatures/signature_183870846

Comments

  1. We are blessed to have Lindi as our little girl's ballet teacher. Living in an area where ballet is not popular, we now have the opportunity to make one of our little ballerina's dreams come true. She loves every lesson and I love watching her confidence grow every week. Thank you, Lindi, for being such an inspiration to Ava!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! That's heart melting.
    So beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts