Halloween - Killarney Country Club

This Halloween got scarier for me, I was asked the question, "How difficult is it to manage a blog?" I stood dead in my tracks unable to answer..... To you it may sound like a simple question that deserves a  "Nah it's easy"  answer, but that is not really the case. The blog is the hardest thing to manage in the world. The reason being we don't charge for the content we put out (well most bloggers like me don't) and we don't make a living from our blog posts. Therefore when it comes to prioritizing, the blog always gets the last preference. (It shouldn't but it does). Truth is when it comes to earning a living or just gaining free exposure, we all tend to choose the option that adds to our bank account.

This was the dilemma I became faced with from October. I had been offered freelance job after freelance job consuming my free time bit by bit so I barely got the time to handle and manage the blog. Good news though during my absence, I started writing for the incredible team of Inkfish. Inkfish started off as a difficult job because I was always being reminded that I am not the only writer and that my writing as appealing as it is for me may not always be everyone's cup of tea. Needless to say my inner ego remained pulled up quite a bit. That is when I realized, "What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger." Its true criticism never hurt anyone it just gets you to improve. I wish I had a team behind the blog though. Being a solo blog writer means sometimes it takes an entire day for me to write a post (my mum still tends to find a mistake or two when she proofreads once my post has already been posted and read by over 100 viewers). Taking a much-needed break from my blog also made me realized just how much I valued my blog and did not want to part with it.

So the answer is maintaining a blog is no easy feat. You disappoint people when you don't post as frequently as they expect you to, you gain frowns when you post things people don't like and you realize that no matter how long you've been a blogger for you always have so much more to learn.

Halloween was spent slightly differently this year. The hubby and I took out my not-so-young nieces (they were the only children we could find) to go watch Hotel Transylvania 2 at the Killarney Country Club. To find eligible children, I had to put a Whatsapp status requesting for children to accompany us. The response was immense (bit overwhelming) so I settled for my two favourites. The fun part was that for this particular  Halloween treat adults didn't have to pay, only kiddies paid a super low fee of R100 and they received a box of popcorn, cheesy brains (Mac and cheese) and a drink. Plus they got to see the movie which is a fairly recent release. We received our tickets and slipped into the indoor venue that was set to mimic a drive-thru movie setting. At a time where we lack the old fashioned and archaic drive-thru thru movie theatres, it was good for the younger generation to experience it (even though they were inside as opposed to actually being under the stars). There was a slight chill in the air so the indoor venue proved best. The golf carts were oh so cute and made for comfortable seats for watching a one and a half hour movie. Families could also bring along pillows and blankets to sit on the floor. The popcorn was delicious (since I am an insane popcorn lover), the mac and cheese for me was rather bland but made the perfect taste choice for a younger palate. Macaroni was boiled al dente and had the perfect amount of melted cheese.









Kiddies all came decked up as their favourite scary ghouls, magicians, fortune tellers and vampires. The best-dressed kid who was obviously the fortune teller stole the show with magic fortune-telling ball in hand. It was a no brainer that her fortune was certainly in her favour with her enchanting outfit.

The movie itself was rather cute. I am a Hotel Translyvania fan and love count Dracula to bits. The film ended by 9:30 pm promptly which was appropriate for the kiddies who were concealing one too many yawns and sleepy eye syndrome during all the excitement and fun..



I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and the kiddies had fun too. Grown ups got a bit of a break as well as kids glued to the screen often means less parental supervision is required.


Comments

Popular Posts