Illustrate your Dreams

Let's face it we all have dreams. While my dreams may seem way too vivid, out there and a tad bit more outrageous than the dreams dreamt by most of my friends, I know my friends have dreams too. Lately I've managed to speak to so many amazing individuals who have actually managed to reach out and obtain their dreams. Struggles aside, they have urged themselves forward and actually realized the expectations that they have set for themselves. Looking back at my blogging journey, I can proudly say that I have my dream come true every single time that I post or review a product. At first my dream with blogging was at least having something to blog about and getting one or two people to read it. After only a few months into my blogging journey, I am proud to say that I have over a hundred readers every week and with the blessings of the All Mighty I am doing really well as a blogger. Now the challenge is not having something to write but finding the time to actually post everything I have to write about. Another inspirational soul who captures her dream, sketch pad and pencil in hand is Maggie Ai who is a fashion illustrator based in China.

I haven't done a fashion blog piece in ages and what better way to reintroduce my fashion forward thinking by discussing fashion illustration as a profession with an already established fashion illustrator. For the purpose of this particular fashion forward post I conducted an interview with my personal favourite illustrator and my fashion guru Maggie Ai.

Laila: What made you decide to become a fashion illustrator as well as a blogger?
Maggie: “If two people are meant to be together, finally they'll find their way back”, I love this movie quote and I think it's also a suitable quote for talking about the pursuit of dreams.
My journey towards becoming a fashion illustrator was not all plain sailing. I have loved fashion very much since I was a little girl, at that time being fond of reading all kinds of fashion magazines, watching people's fashion statements on the streets, and drawing if and when some clothes impressed me.  However, I found that I preferred to draw and paint fashion sketches instead of  being interested in actually making clothes. Therefore I didn't choose to attend a fashion design school, and there was no suitable school which specialized specifically in fashion illustrating. To be honest, when I was at college, I didn't know that fashion illustrators formed part of an internationally recognized careerEmoji. I ended up going to a nice university and always retained my art dreams in my heart. I never gave up on self-learning. It was only when more and more fashion illustrations came into public view, that's when I picked up the pen again and I realized I was born for fashion illustrations! From then on, I started my own career in fashion illustrations and have been fighting for my real dreams ever since.

Laila: How has your journey as a fashion illustrator and blogger been thus far?
Maggie: Well, I must say I'm just at the very beginning of my illustration journey. Fortunately, there are fashion brands, designers and bloggers from different countries who have reached out to me asking to collaborate on illustrations and costume designing. As of rather recently, there are international magazines and publishing houses who are publishing my works, as well as inviting me to write books. I'm very grateful for this as they have just made me grow faster in my career. Becoming a fashion illustrator in my country is not easy. Fashion illustration is still on the rise in China, so I have to face this reality and overcome hardships like, the instability of working on projects, my source of revenue also becomes unstable from time to time. Another challenge is that some people  don't even know about fashion illustrations. Most importantly, I feel my knowledge about clothing design is rather limited since I lack professional learning and training in the field. Luckily, I have met friends along the way that are so kind and helpful. The process of growing as a fashion artist makes me realize how true the saying, "When a person really desires something, all the universe conspires to help him to realise his dream" really is. I don't only view myself as an illustrator, but more of a learner.
Laila: What exciting projects are you leaning towards next?
Maggie: Thanks for asking that. I am starting to collaborate with others and starting to design clothes. I will be using my illustrations on mobile phone shells, electronic products, clothes and living necessities as well. These new projects are so interesting and extends beyond one's imagination. Stepping into this industry made me aware that the world of fashion illustrations is broad and wide.  I'm open-minded so at this point any creative collaborations are welcomed!

Laila: So Maggie, you do tons of celebrity inspired illustrations, does this get tricky or are you confident in the work you produce?
Maggie: To me celebrity fashion is inspiring. I think behind the celebrities themselves are the masterpieces created by many excellent fashion designers and we can learn from them in this way. For me, illustrating the fashion of famous people is part of study and re-creation. Besides, I would feel great if those celebrities actually see my work and likes it. Fashion illustration is a very personalized art. Being confident at what you are doing is important. If you have a dream, you got to protect it and believe that you are unique.

After reading Maggie's inspirational answers, I hope you get incited to actually plunge and leap forward to really reach your dreams.

Below I have so my personal favourite fashion illustrations by Maggie. These drawings were used with her permission and have inspired my sense of dress too.








Give Maggie a follow on Instagram: Maggie Ai

Comments

Popular Posts