Weddings, Rings and Things

With the public holiday yesterday and the extended leave luckily given to me, I'm finally finding the time to rework my blog fingers. Not only am I blogging but I also caught up on my reading... Lost in the world and troubles of imaginary characters, I managed to battle The Flu. The Flu welcomed itself into my life, Sunday night and being down on both Monday and Tuesday gave me time to catch up on some reading.  The book I chose to ignore my runny nose with was, "Summer at TIFFANY'S" and boy did I not regret that decision in the slightest. I managed to fight off antibiotic drowsiness at its best just to read one more sentence or reach the end of the chapter.

Summer at TIFFANY'S is a well written and classy novel by best selling author Karen Swan. Her portrayal of the characters in her novel are so real and relatable, it makes even the lazy reader want to become a ferocious reader. The book deals with real issues like divorce, family, work, business ethics, stress, solid friendships and handling traumatic experiences together.




I dived right into Summer at TIFFANY'S having missed Swan's introduction to her characters and the back story with her novel, "Christmas at TIFFANY's" needless to say I missed out on her prequel to this amazing book. However, I managed to grasp onto the gist of the story and got to give Swan's characters my own made-up history.

One striking feature that particularly stood out for me in the novel was the idea of being someone's "Fiancée". Throughout the book the focal point is weddings. The main character Cassie is a divorcee, living with her Fiancée Henry who seems to be pushing for a wedding. Whilst pushing back her own wedding, Cassie is also trying to stop another wedding. Henry's sister, works in a wedding catering company herself, so all through the read we experience weddings and the journey down the aisle.


Remarkably, the book was a perfect way to end the wedding season that my family and I experienced all April. With about four family weddings, an engagement and a proposal the book really spoke to me. Whilst some brides delay their graceful walk down the aisle, others prefer to rush it as they are determined to spend their lives with the person of their dreams. From the caterers to the wedding heavily decorate sponge cake, weddings are the fairy-tale straight out of your wildest dream. The diamonds of your ring marks the start of a unity circle bonding two hearts and souls but like Swan puts it, "Happy Ever After doesn't always start with a ring." The book is proven to stir up various emotions and take you on a whirlwind of a journey.






One part in the starting chapters of the book that really spoke volumes was the idea of people not valuing the idea of a fiancée as being a part of their future family as yet. When Cassie rushes to the CCU unit at the hospital where her future brother-in-law, Archie, lays supported by heart monitors, the nurse refuses to let her in, firmly warning, "Family only!". The lead character is mortified by the nurse's harsh words as clearly without being married to Henry, Cassie shares a deeper bond with her future family that the nurse would never even try to understand. What do you think? Is being someone's fiancée really a valued relationship? Or does your relationship only mean something after marriage? From my religious point of view, I already know which side I chose but which side do you?

Swan's writing does make you question things: relationships included....

I can guarantee you an alone date on your front porch with a cup of milk tea and this summer read is the best way to fight off any flu or cold that the beginning of winter is bringing along with it.



Comments

Popular Posts