Page Turning Pact

So I finally got  my hands on Jodi Picoult's novel, "The Pact". Since everyone else is away for the holidays and I'm home bound due to my upcoming Honours exams in January, I thought I'd spent the lonely moments engrossed in the world of Jodi's characters. (Aside from doing make up, blogging, loving fashion and studying for my Education honours, I read too).


"Don't judge a book by its cover."


"Don't judge a book by its cover." We've heard this saying about a million times yet so many of us are guilty of doing this over and over again. If we haven't heard about the book and before we even read the blurb, the cover catches our attention or sometimes even makes our interest drift away from the book. Had I not caught a glimpse of the movie playing "True Movies", I would not even have picked up this book. The cover is plain white with the author and title written in bold, in a purple and green colour. The cover is not strikingly fancy in anyway, however, once you catch a peek of the line in white at the top of the cover, "He would do anything for her." you know the books bound to be a good read. Like I said,I carefully selected this book to be my holiday read after catching scenes from the movie playing one evening on television.  Despite the simple cover, I knew this would be a stunning read.

My destined 3 weeks read took me 3 days to get through. Page turner is an understatement as I could not put the book down. I slept with the characters on my mind, dreamt of the characters and woke up wanting to know more about the characters and their lives.Needless to say I cried buckets full of tears when I finished reading. Still I scratch my head thinking; why did she do this?, What if he was wrong?, Is it possible that there was more?, Was this really true love?

Jodi Picoult certainly writes stunningly.The book talks through two families (The Golds and The Hearts) whose lives are intertwined in more ways then one. The families are entirely fond of each other at the beginning of the novel, however, both families lives spiral out of control due to a suicidal pact made by their children. What makes it worst is that one of the two children who made the pact is dead and the other is being accused of and charged for her murder.
Can true friendship stand the ache of suicide? Was it really a suicide or actually a case of murder?

 I promise the Suicidal Pact made by childhood sweethearts Emily and Chris is worth the read.

Perks: The main characters become so strongly ingrained in your imagination that you start perceiving the story as being a real one. It takes the real issues of friendship, love, lust and jealousy and paints a picture of how these issues are in actual life as opposed to the rosy picture we so used to reading about. I could not even put the book down while doing my makeup so I would read two lines while sponging my face, check in the mirror, read a further two lines and go in with the concealer brush only to stop halfway just to peek at another two lines.

Send through your holiday reads to me on Twitter @LailaAbramjee https://twitter.com/LailaAbramjee?lang=en





Comments

Popular Posts