DOODLE,DOODLE, DOODLE DIARY!

When I was asked to provide the list of books I would like to receive from Pan Macmillan South Africa for Christmas and New Year, I immediately asked for Chris Riddell's "Doodle a Day" book, fully knowing that Riddell is an accomplished Children's book author. (My inner child was at her peak glory point when the book arrived).

Riddell has clearly let his creative juices flow when he created this book which allows children to express their own creative sides by creating their own unique stories on every single page. I was rather impressed that the book allows children to think out of the box and draw, design, illustrate decorate,create, recreate, name and give their own story starters. With 365 activities, there is a task to keep your little one's mind occupied whilst simultaneously stimulating his or her mind and getting them to think, create and learn everyday of the year.  (Unless of course your little one is as impatient as me and wants to complete 10 plus pages a day- besides once the creativity starts there's no way to stop it). 

Being a teacher and having worked with children in primary school, I am certain that this is a fun way to get children to express themselves through art and storytelling thus helping them improve  their fine motor skills and coloring skills as well as teaching them to keep a diary of some sort.


For me I feel that the book is appropriate for ages 6 to 13 years of age. (Judging from the fact that I love my DOODLE DIARY, I am reconsidering this age group).

Being a language teacher I was ultimately delighted by these learning activities that Riddell cleverly  touched on in his book.
Asking children to think about and invent their own story starter for the story they feel is depicted in the picture. (Creative writing skills advancement).


By asking learners to decorate or draw based on the definition of word, learners start to familiarize themselves with new vocabulary and this can help them learn dictionary skills as well.
(Sinister is not an easy word in the first place- adults how would you illustrate this word?)


Testing pens and pencils can lead to developing children's fine motor skills.





It's official my doodling journey has officially begun. 



Chris Riddell states, "a doodle a day is a great way to play!", I feel, "A doodle a day is the best way to keep nagging parents and teachers at bay." So doodle away. 

DOODLE= DE-STRESS AT ITS BEST

Chris Riddell's website is a must check out for parents: http://www.childrenslaureate.org.uk/chris-riddell/laureate-log/

Comments

Popular Posts